Vegan Fried Rice (Serves 4)
Cal 321 per serving
1/2 cup Carrots (chopped fine)
5 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 cup Green onion
1/2 cup Peas
1 cup Tofu, extra-firm
1 tsp Chili garlic sauce
3 tbsp Sriracha sauce
3 tbsp Tamari or low sodium soy sauce
1 cup brown rice
2 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp Sesame oil, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly grease with non-stick spray).
2. In the meantime wrap tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and set something heavy on top (such as a cast iron skillet) to press out the liquid.
3. Once the oven is preheated, dice tofu into 1/4-inch cubes and arrange on baking sheet. Bake for 26-30 minutes. You’re looking for golden brown edges and a texture that’s firm to the touch. The longer it bakes, the firmer and crispier it will become, so if you’re looking for softer tofu remove from the oven around the 26-28 minute mark. I prefer crispy tofu, so I bake mine the full 30 minutes. Set aside.
4. Have your rice prepared (I use a rice cooker have rice on hand)
5. While tofu is cooking, prepare sauce by adding all ingredients to a medium-size mixing bowl and whisking to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more tamari or soy for saltiness, honey for sweetness, or chili garlic sauce and siracha for heat
6. Once the tofu is done baking, add directly to the sauce and marinate for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Heat a large metal or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, use a slotted spoon to scoop the tofu into the pan leaving most of the sauce behind. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown on all sides (see photo). Lower heat if browning too quickly. Remove from pan and set aside.
8. To the still hot pan add garlic, green onion, peas and carrots. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, and season with 1 Tbsp (15 ml) tamari or soy sauce (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
9. Add cooked rice, tofu, and remaining sauce and stir. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
10. Serve immediately with extra chili garlic sauce or sriracha for heat (optional).